Monday, January 10, 2005

Suggestions for Daily Writing

A beginning can only be begun.

If you have not been bored yet and want to start, go write ahead. The Blog is yours.

(Please use comment on this particular post to share how you will approach this Lenten Practice. Please add your suggestions.)

If you want some suggestions read on:

The first suggestion is that I have no suggestion as to what you should write.

My suggestion is only to write. My other suggestion is that as a practice try to write every day. Sunday's are not Lent so take a writing Sabbath. I certainly will.

What to write?

What I'm planning on doing will be to take some time in prayer and then read the readings. I will most likely try to write in the morning before the family gets going. Whatever jumps out at me will be what I write about.

For example if "Daily Bread" is what I'm drawn to I may reflect how this year I've had to trust in daily bread a whole lot more. I found out I would rather have 10 year bread with dividends. Daily bread it is! God is wonderfully efficient. Not always comfortable but he shows up. I might also write how "Daily Bread" is showing up in ASIA after the Tsunami. If a little more critical of myself I might reflect on why when I have received more than my share and cling tightly to it I may very well be limiting someone else's daily bread.

Be free enough to be honest with yourself. This is for you so write your questions and doubts. Be creative. Be challenged. Wonder.

Maybe you want to write a word, (a sentence, a paragraph, a page )each day on a commandment. Maybe you will just check in. It really is up to you.
I can not overemphasize that this is a practice.

I will however remind that the more you put into it the more you may receive.

Last year I felt called to spend the 12 days leading up to Christmas in the Nativity Story. It was a great experience because by making a commitment to write everyday it helped me explore Christmas at a new depth. Where before I believed the stories simply potential additions to build up the Gospel I began to see the Covenant and was amazed at how congruent the Nativity is with the Old Testament. For me it was a spiritual break through. I would not have discovered that if it were not for the action and the discipline.

This is a discipline and if you are anything like me you are not very good at it. I'm not. I get all fired up and then three days later I get "busy". The one benefit to creating all this and then inviting persons to join is that this is probably the best way to remain accountable. If I stop writing certainly some may notice.

I'm not a big fan of being accountable. It can be taxing. But I have also found that by taking on a commitment I'm more likely to follow through.

So make a commitment. If your more daring invite a person or more than one to do this with you. Better yet decide to meet once a week to discuss the practice. Have a meal. Ask the dangerous but exciting question, where is God leading us?

Dare to believe that God is real and that by taking some time to be with Him, he'll show up.

(Continue the journey with Post- Rules)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home