Friday, February 11, 2005

Well, I'm here God

OK, so I have joined and now at 7:15 PM on a Friday, after a long day, and looking forward to a long night of Hebrew homework (No, I am not complaining, I like Hebrew...) I pause and read the daily drill. I also skimmed other people's entries, and I feel very much the same with you all. It does beat giving up potato chips (although because of family tradition I must give up alcohol for the entire lent). Rite I does seem shocking with the Hell reference. And yes, I think if our consumer culture finally takes over Easter, after we agreed to take over Christmas, we are in for some REALLY bad symbology/theology.
But about the readings for today. Well, I am struck by how the 10 commandments are written. There is no list with bullets and numbering. It is part of the narrative. Some of the commandments get mulitple lines of scripture, some get four words. (Some say we could use more lines to clarify "thou shall not kill", but perhaps brevity is clarity)
For all that we make it out to be, the ten commandments in literary form are just like all the other Israelite laws that are written. Since we are Christians, why do we not enshrine the two commandments that Jesus says are the greatest?
But enough rambling. Well, almost. Are we stuck with the old form of the Lord's Prayer? I know everyone says it sounds good, but trespassing is just not the crime it used to be. Sin works much better in my soul. Good night to you all.

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Eliz F said...

Very distressing to read that you were "looking forward" to a long night of Hebrew homework. The homework was too hard for me. ACK!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home