Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Reflection brought on by the practice or don't overestimate the size of your sandbox.

My children wake up to early.

It's hard to reflect on the practice when your four year old is blowing a whistle and your littlest is handing you plastic egg after plastic egg. (We're dealing with graven images in our house. It is the build up to the "other" easter of candy and rabbits).

What struck me this morning is that Benjamin is incredibly proud that he knows the word for "egg". He says it with authority as he hands them to me. For age two it is quite an accomplishment. I keep handing them back and saying "Yes, Benjamin it is an egg."(which of course promps him to hand it back till I shoo him off)

I then thought about my Christian practice. I can think about the steps I've taken and the journey for a deeper faith. For me it has meant incredible growth. But this morning I know I should seek greater humility. I have this sense that if I was to approach Augustine, CS Lewis, Merton, Paul I would just be like Benjamin. I might proudly announce "Christianity" to them which they would smile kindly in a paternalistic way.

"Yes Scott, "Christianity". Go back now and play."

2 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Eliz F said...

Scott, I love this post.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Matthew Scott said...

I'm sorry Scott. I love this post. Well written, and I am sure amusing as Benajamin grabs another egg, but I am lost in thought as I consider other people you might approach someday with your spiritual egg. I'm thinking of what some comedians would respond with... thanks for a really cool image.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home