Monday, February 28, 2005

the dash in between

I think there is a song by Garth Brooks or some such "musician" which reminds us of the importance of the dash in between. That dash which appears on our headstone between on DOB and DOD says so much and yet it is merely a dash. In our Creed, our forebearers have done a similar thing to the life and works of Jesus Christ.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried;

There is so much included in that comma between his being born of the Virgin Mary and suffering under Pontius Pilate. Fortunately someone had the foresight to write it down so that we might know of the miracles, teachings, dealings, and pleadings of Jesus during his 33 years on Earth. Thanks to the evangelists of old we are able to know (whether we believe it all or not) God's salvific (btw is this even a word? I keep using it and spell check keeps saying I'm a moron)action through Christ, and not only that but God's reordering of history through the words and actions of Jesus. So as I read the Creed in chapel I often have to remind myself of all that went on in that comma and give thanks for it.

1 Comments:

At 5:43 AM, Blogger Eliz F said...

I love this post; what a great point about the comma!

Salvific IS a word; spell check is the moron.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home