Thursday, February 24, 2005

Love your neighbor

One of the many people I talk with on the phone every day left me in tears this morning. I'm used to getting nasty callers, and they normally don't bother me. I can usually brush them off as having their own anger issues to work through. However, this woman was perfectly calm as she told me that she didn't believe our letter was a standard review, that it was a crime how we treated the people we spoke with, and that she pitied me for having my job. All I asked her was how her son broke his finger.
The most difficult part of my job is the necessity to respond to people with love and kindness when they treat you with hostility. It's the act of loving your neighbor.
Afterwards, the woman called back and spoke with my supervisor about how I told her we looking for fraud (which I did not) and sundry other things. I wish at times that our customers had people listening to our conversations, to whom they are accountable for what they say. It'd really make loving your neighbor alot easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home