Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I believe in Heaven

The words may not be stated that way, but since I believe in a Father that art in heaven, I believe in heaven. But the 10 commandments say that I should make no graven image of anything that is in heaven. So I, in any capacity I have, should not try to make something that looks like heaven. If I tried, I might be making a graven image.
But what about using my energy to make the church better? What if I use my energy to make the church somehow work like heaven? Am I not trying to make a graven image on earth? I sat in class today and tried to mumble some defense for the radical non-violence and the radical inclusiveness of Jesus' ministry, and I couldn't add a logical statement to the mix. All the logic and all the thoughtful theologians in the world had boxed up and categorized everything that I might want to say. Non-violence you argue? What about the turning over the tables of the moneychangers? Inclusiveness? What about the sheep going one way and the goats the other? Yet we still talk about Jesus' and his ministry in these ways. He even inspired others to believe in being just as radical, and so we revere their names as well (We don't hallow them... only the Father gets that...).
So I too, feel a fire in my belly when I consider non-violence and inclusiveness. But I can't argue it in a debate. I can't find logical systematic arguments for them. I am left with fedeism, arguing solely because I believe it.
And this is where the readings hit me tonight. I might get upset at those who argue the vagaries of a Just War, or over who is in and who is out. But the commandment stops me. I have no more right than any other to decide what rules we follow, no more power to make the perfect system, that graven image of what my heaven on earth would be. I must let go of that desire and instead listen to the words and how they ask me to interact with those around me. I must be inclusive of the other opinions and readings. I must not feel violence towards them. And I must not try to make my image of heaven the one for everyone to accept. Let them read and discover. Let them pray and feel. Let the fire burn them like it burns me.
My prayers to all those who feel the flame. Peace be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home