Tuesday, March 01, 2005

seated at the right hand

Whenever I think of Christ being seated at the right hand of the father, it reminds me of James and John bickering over seating placements. They were kind of like wannabe party planners, jockeying for the best spot and ranking the people around them by their placement. When I was younger, my brother and I used to fight over who got to sit in the front seat of the car, because it was the place of honor. It's the same idea.
Being on the right hand means that you're used. It's not just honor; it's duty. It means responsibility. It means you're essential. I long to be considered essential to the work fo the kingdom. I can understand why James and John fought to be on the right hand side of Jesus.
However, the only person who can properly take the right hand side of our Creator is our Redeemer. It's a reminder that whatever we give to God is miniscule in comparison with what S/He has given to us. And so, we are put in our place, somewhere in the crowd. As we should be.

1 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger spankey said...

Amy,

glad to have a Presby in our midst. My wife and I attended a Presbyterian Church for 2 years prior to coming to Episcopal seminary and loved every minute of it. Which seminary will you be attending in Louisville? Also, well done with the right hand thing, I'm still fighting to keep my place in the crowd seems like seminary makes the pedastool option sound better and better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home