Thursday, February 17, 2005

Hallowed be thy Name

This phrase struck me today, whereas I typically gloss over it. What does it MEAN to hallow God's name?

I often don't feel that I do that in seminary. Chapel often seems sterile to me. Old Testament is my very favorite class, but we do throw around "Yahweh" quite a bit, studying that name of God, not hallowing it.

Perhaps that's one reason why I'm still in Hebrew, even though it's crazy hard at this point and takes too much time for an elective...when we see the Lord's name in Hebrew, we don't pronounce it; if reading aloud, we say "Adonai" instead of the name ("Adonai" means "Lord"). Somehow, slogging along through those crazy symbols (i.e. the Hebrew letters), I feel that somehow I am closer to God, revering God in an ancient language.

(But, I don't have this feeling when parsing verbs. Then I am much more likely to break that name-in-vain commandment.)

1 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Peter Carey said...

Elizabeth,

I really like your discussion of "Hallowed by thy name," ...I wonder how well, indeed I Hallow God's name!

I commend you for sticking with Hebrew, Greek was just too much for me!

Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home