Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Other Gods

This used to seem like an easy-points commandment, until I got older and others gods were not just interpreted as not offering sacrifices to the Greek pantheon (about whom I loved to read as a kid) but also gods like money. Aaaarrrrgh. And that is the one that kills me...I can't express how hard it has been to transition from a beautiful big house on a river to an apartment that has peeling finish on the floors and Pepto-Bismol pink bathrooms (no, can't paint; it's the FIXTURES that are pink).

When I was young, I always told my parents that I was going to be rich when I grew up, and they always asked "How?" and I had never quite figured that part out, but I just KNEW I would be wealthy. (And I was talking finances, not rich-in-friends, rich-in-the-things-that-really-matter, etc.) I'm slowly figuring out, as I progress through seminary, that this is not going to happen, as I feel called to one fo the lowest paying professions for which an advanced degree is required. (Librarians are also at the bottom of the pile, which is another career I considered at one point.)

I wish I were more excited about not being rich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home