Wednesday, March 02, 2005

To Judge the Living and the Dead

Judgment sort of has a bad rap. This is probably true to Jesus commanding us to "not Judge". Yet we're encouraged to develop sound judgment and be good judges of character. I think this where some of the confusion takes place. We have to make judgments all day long. Is this what was meant by not judge? I don't think so.

I believe it is similar to idols. Just as we are not to put anything higher than God I think we're also not to take our understanding of something as the final truth. We have to judge in life. We have to make decisions. The challenge of the command is to not allow our thinking to close in on itself as the final conclusion. We are called I think to keep the avenue open.

Only God, who does not need us when it comes right down to it, will have final say on the value of any of our lives. As created I am to know my place. As created I can pass final judgment on no one. I can not close the door on any person or even myself. This keeps the door open pointing the way to the creator.

That is how I understand it today. It might change tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home