Monday, February 21, 2005

You shall not covet...

I grew up in a very materialistic area. Neither of my parents went to college and both were born and raised blue collar folk living in a very white collar town (not by choice initially by the way). Any as a kid growing up it was hard for me not to covet. I wanted the best shoes when I was in first grade. I wanted the best Umbro's when I started playing soccer. I wanted a car when I turned 16. I coveted...

...A LOT...

Today I like to think I've grown some. I'm not so stuck in the material things. I find it much easier not to covet the stuff my neighbor has. But there are two new things that I see myself coveting from time to time. First, there are times when I covet those who have stability Not that I don't but really I don't. I'm in a constant state of transition. I graduated from college and moved to Grove City for two years. I got married. Then we moved to Alexandria where we'll spend 2 years and 10 months. Next we'll move again so I can serve a parish for the mandatory three years before we actually start settling down. Wow, on paper that looks like a lot of change, and I don't like change. Grrrr. Also, I covet seminarians who listened to the 12 credit suggestion. I'm losing my mind and I'm only taking an extra 1.5 credits.

So that's where I am today, coveting stuff as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home