Monday, March 07, 2005

I believe in Jesus Christ

I have always come to belief by the back door. I'm a thomist so doubting is second nature. Thomas there with the risen Jesus there with him. It was not enough. That is my kind of guy...poke, poke, poke.

Faith for me is discovering what does not work.

Intellect (or pseudo intellect) will not save me.
Pride will not save me.
Career will not save me.
Income will not save me.
Status will not save me.
Excitement will not save me.
Family will not save me.
Excercise will not save me.
Marriage will not save me.
Children will not save me.
Poetry will not save me.
Flight will not save me.
alcohol will not save me.
Politics will not save me.
Nationalism will not save me.

I believe that small groups in which risk can be taken and truth be told. I believe in people who join for prayer even if the majority "don't believe" in any particular faith. I believe in helping ones fellow man. I believe in making restitution. I believe in confession not because one ought to but because it is liberating. I believe that one can not think ones way into to good action but that one can act ones way into good thinking. Yet these only seem to prepare a way. They don't complete the work.

I believe in Jesus Christ. May my actions say as much.

2 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger spankey said...

well said Scott, may my actions say it too. I wonder, just wonder is alcohol being the only word to begin with a lowercase letter a freudian thing?
Peace brother.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger The Rev. Scott Petersen said...

I think I spelled it wrong (which could be Freudian) and when spellchecked it came back lowercase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home