Thursday, March 03, 2005

Trespass?

Here is where I stake my integrity as a future minister. Here is where I lay down the line that must be crossed and force all in my path to cross it. Too long have we sought comfort and forgot that it is not peace but a sword to prod us continually in the butt that Jesus brings. It is time to make the change everyone.
You know where I am going. For all you out there who memorized the antiquated language of the "traditional" Lord's Prayer, I have news for you. It no longer applies to people from Gen X and younger. We all trespass. All the time. The word means nothing to us. It is right up there with Loitering. We don't care. And as for thou and thine, we only use those when we do bad impressions of English people or the Shakespeare that we were supposed to read in high school.
I know it means stepping out of the comfort zone. That prayer you say as you walk into the dark basement to keep you calm inside. The one that you hold onto like a security blanket in case you need to curl up and hide from the dangers of the world. But guess what? Only faith in Jesus can comfort you, not some ancient poem that has no real meaning in even your own mind. Just like that torn up piece of bed sheet that Mom finally made you throw away.
I might be bordering on professional suicide when I say this, but I am not praying when I say the old prayer. I am doing nothing more than when I recited the old english beginning to The Canterbury Tales that I had to memorize in high school. I don't know what it meant, but my english teacher told me I had to do it, so I did. When I pray in the way that the Lord instructed, I pray for forgiveness of SIN. I pray that the kingdom, the power, and the glory are YOURS (not mine, and boy do I need to remind myself of this, even right now).
I do find it fun to learn the languages of the Bible, and speaking some Hebrew once in a while is cool, but saying the Shema is the same thing. it just sounds cool. When I pray, I don't want to sound cool. I want to say what is closest to my heart, and what I yearn for in my relationship with Christ. Peace all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home