Thursday, March 17, 2005

Do not lie (false witness)

The second half of the ten commandments deal with our relationships with others. They also relate to the first. If I bear false witness or provide false information to or about my neighbor I have done something interesting in relation to "hold no gods before me". As I was pondering this, through the morning (in a different context) it seems that my lying presents me as over and above my neighbor. Have I not placed myself above my neighbor by deeming my view of the truth as the truth? Have I not idolized myself? Have I not become in the new world I have created in the altered truth become creator?

Then there is the part of the lie in which I lie because I am uncomfortable with the consequences of the truth. Do I not trust my God enough to live through those consequences? Do I not trust in deliverance? I second guess providence when I try to deliver myself.

This is all before I even consider the injustice of the lie itself to the other. The second half of the ten commandments certainly help create the safe place that a community can grow. They also remind me to stay closer to the first. We are a people who have been taken from bondage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home