Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Covet/Deliver

I am experiencing coveting issues this morning as it rains and I procrastinate walking the dog. I covet a yard into which I could just let her out. For the rest of today, after I can finally bring myself to take her out, the apartment will smell like a wet dog.

But the word that really stands out for me today is deliver. Even though I was born into the Episcopal church, I have yet to develop a taste for our chanting. It usually distracts me from worship; I am thinking of "deliver us" as a response in the Great Litany. When we sing (or whatever the sound is called) that as a response in the great litany, inside my head I am begging to be delivered from the litany itself.

But it's such a powerful word...we learned it recently in Hebrew, but I can't write Hebrew characters here. Somehow the guttural sounds in Hebrew seem to give the word more power, whereas chanting it, for me, lessens it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home