Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I Am the Lord Your God Who

This morning I'm struck by the first sentence in the Decalogue; apparently that's rather common in the OT, for God to preface his pronouncements by reminding the Israelites of what he has done for them. I wonder if my prayer life would change at all if I started my prayers that way...You are the Lord My God who never left that whole decade when I was in my 20s and pretended you didn't exist.You are the Lord my God who somehow supported me through the discernment process even though it seemed to be riddled with potholes and pits.

But then, that's probably the Protestant Reformation influence showing up, that I would turn "your God" into "my God," when the reverse should be plural, reflecting the community, not just me. You are the Lord Our God who continues to seek relationship with us, no matter how many ways we try to screw it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home