Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sabbath and Forever and ever

Two things struck me as I get ready to exegete some of Elijah for OT class. I noticed that the Sabbath section of the Ten commandments appears to be the longest. I will have to check that against the hebrew, but I think it is the hands down winner in size. Since alot of the hebrew interpretation I have been reading is based on position of certain words and length of statements, I think we might need to rethink the whole Thou shalt not Kill being the most important commandment.
The second thing to hit me, which actually hit me first, is the forever and ever at the end of the Lord's prayer (even though it is the wrong version). Why the repetition? As if forever is not long enough, we make it even longer. And not just because it sounds good in music (I hear Handel's Messiah...). Is it another emphasis by length thing going on here? It's not just that the kingdom shall be forever. Forever and ever. Hmm, I'll have to mediate on that for a while. Peace all!

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Peter Carey said...

Matt,

I believe that the forever and ever is from the Greek....not so much a repeat, but an emphasis ... I'd have to look back at it to see, however...

Peace,

Peter

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Peter Carey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Eliz F said...

Matt, that is so interesting!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home