Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Thou shalt not steal

After my lunch time conversation about Sin with Laura and Seth and others, I can't get the image out of my mind. Sin for me is a word used in trying to describe my relationship with God, not with other people. God doesn't say stealing is a sin. He says thou shalt not steal. Stealing is wrong. If I steal something from another human, I fail to follow God's laws and I sin against God.
Now this leads me down different paths with our list. My afternoon conversations with Laura are about teaching children about sin, and we disagree on some key ideas. But here, I feel reaffirmed as I read. I mentioned earlier that I favor the new Lord's prayer over the Old, but the new one has a mistake to me as well, in which we somehow need to worry about sinning against each other. No, sin is a debt we pay to God, resitution is a debt we pay to each other.
So I guess I have a beef with both prayers, and I need to write a new one. I'll use another greek translation and instead of sin I will use debt. And I will take Elizabeth's idea and use some hebrew in it as well, since the words sound with deeper meaning. And then i will have a totally individual religion just for me... (ok, I digress). I heard a conversation today about the individualistic developments and how communal religious sentiment is getting left out of the equation. So maybe I need to accept some things I don't quite jive with for the sake of living and praying with my fellow men. Is this the Via Media? Peace All.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home